Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gas Dump In Highland Park

So yesterday, I went to the Raceway at 60 Raritan Avenue to dispose of some very old gasoline. After having no idea what to do, the station attendInt brought out a big metal bucket to pour the gas into. When that bucket wasn't enough to hold the roughly five gallons I had, he invited me to pour out the remainder of the gas into a nearby landscaped area -- right into the dirt.

When I told him that I wouldn't do that, he brought out several containers to package the rest of the gas. This was clearly not the proper way to dispose of gas, and I should have gone to a service garage where they routinely do this, but that said, this is unacceptable.

I called the DEP hotline this morning and spoke to a live operator to file a formal complaint.

Just FYI

No comments: